The Steering Committee has decided to schedule the next meeting of Walk Ottawa on Monday, February 3, 2014, 7pm in the Richmond Room (turn right at the top of the stairs from Lisgar).
Due to the long time since the last meeting, I’m only including the media coverage.
- Minutes from the September meeting (Draft – to be approved at the next meeting)
More links/information will follow closer to the meeting.
The only exception is the patio application for 425 Bank Street. This patio would be similar to the ones on Elgin Street, which some of you have expressed concerns about. Staff are asking for comments about the application by January 27 (see contact info in the letter if you are interested in sending your comments).
In the Media
Since the previous meeting, we have had a number of pedestrian deaths, including two in October/November where Walk Ottawa installed its new pedestrian memorial markers. This initiative by Walk Ottawa led to some increased attention to pedestrian safety in the media:
- “Pay attention, Ottawa cops tell cyclists, walkers” – 2013-11-30 Ottawa Sun article with stats: http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/11/29/pay-attention-ottawa-cops-tell-cyclists-walkers
- “Walk Ottawa wants changes to city intersections” – 2013-11-15 CBC online: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/walk-ottawa-wants-changes-to-city-intersections-1.2427365
- “Roadside memorial put up in Nepean for pedestrian killed by car” – 2013-11-14 Ottawa Sun article with video: http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/11/14/roadside-memorial-put-up-in-nepean-for-pedestrian-killed-by-car
- Ottawa receives Silver Walk Friendly Ontario designation – 2013-11-13 Canada Walks/Green Communities Canada press release
- “Driver arrested after man struck in downtown Ottawa” – 2013-10-30 CBC story on Bank/Laurier road rage incident: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/driver-arrested-after-man-struck-in-downtown-ottawa-1.2288516
- “Mystery fatality raises pedestrian safety issues” – 2013-10-29 Citizen story on pedestrian deaths on Centrepointe: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Mystery+fatality+raises+pedestrian+safety+issues/9099149/story.html
- “New Ottawa pedestrian memorials aim to improve safety”- 2013-10-26 CBC story with video on Woodroffe marker: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/new-ottawa-pedestrian-memorials-aim-to-improve-safety-1.2252837
- “’Ghost’ cut-out erected on Woodroffe Avenue to remember pedestrian killed in accident” – 2013-10-25 Citizen story on Woodroffe marker: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ottawa/Ghost+erected+Woodroffe+Avenue+remember+pedestrian+killed/9084763/story.html
- “Memorial marks site of pedestrian’s death” – 2013-10-25 CFRA story (no longer available online)