The next Walk Ottawa meeting is scheduled for Monday, September 23, 2013.
In the meantime, here are a number of updates and documents to review:
- Minutes from the June meeting (Draft – to be approved at the next meeting)
- Walk Ottawa Introduction and Vision (Minutes item 5b, originally circulated Dec 2012). Hopefully you can use this information to submit letters and articles to your local community papers about Walk Ottawa to get more people interested and involved.
- Improvements at “Top 20 Intersections” (Minutes item 5c)
News & links
- The City has installed the new pilot traffic calming signs mentioned in item 5d.
- The lecture webcast by John Pucher is available on YouTube (Minutes item 8c)
- The City’s draft Official Plan Amendment (Minutes item 8e) was tabled at Planning Committee and at Transportation Committee earlier this summer. The Transportation Master Plan and Ottawa Pedestrian Plan are anticipated to be tabled at the end of September. They are anticipated to be considered by City Council in December. Draft OPA can be downloaded from: http://ottawa.ca/liveableottawa
- Sadly, a pedestrian was killed in a hit-and-run on August 12 on Frank Kenny Road.
- Metro News reports of a campaign to get the province to issue demerit points to distracted drivers: http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/770142/ottawa-man-pushing-for-demerits-for-distracted-drivers/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/consequenceofdrivingwithhandhelddevices
- There is a push to get a signalized crosswalk on Innes Road, where the bus stop is across the street from the jail.
- Centretown residents performed an active transportation audit to evaluate the safety of streets in Centretown, following a similar audit in Lowertown. A report by the group is expected in September.
More pedestrian statistics from previous years can be found on the “Resources” page under the heading “Ottawa pedestrian statistics”. The PDFs are sorted alphabetically by street (if at an intersection, it’s sorted by the street that appears first in the alphabet).
The Steering Committee is seeking a couple of volunteers to help them host an info table for Walk Ottawa. As part of Sustainable Transportation Week September 16-22, EnviroCentre and the City of Ottawa will be (hopefully) closing a street to motor vehicles to open it for a street festival for Car Free Day, Sunday, September 22, 2013 (details TBA). Walk Ottawa has been invited to host a table, and with a couple more people it will be easier to host the table to give generic information about Walk Ottawa, talk to people about their walking concerns, and encouraging people to get involved with Walk Ottawa. Contact me if interested (email@example.com) and I’ll forward it to the relevant Steering Committee member.
There is a vacancy on the Walk Ottawa Steering Committee, as Ron Brown has had to withdraw. Please contact me (Charles) if interested.